Why this blog?

A friend and I were having a debate on whether or not there was such a thing as a digital planner. Did being a good offline account planner automatically mean you could be a good digital one? What does it take? Since I love my job and the power it gives me to be a consumer champion I've decided to embark on a journey to prove that a 'traditional planner' can embrace the digital world.

Realising that I am going to be pulling from several sources who know what they are talking about and that there must be other planners out there in my shoes, I thought it would be worth blogging what I find. At the very least it's a good place to pull together everything for me. Without this I have a strange feeling that I will be as redundant as the banker who said 'yes buying another bank's bad debt is a really good idea'; wish me luck.

Thursday 7 January 2010

My new iphone and different returns on social media - Part II

It's been a month since deciding to start this blog and I'm left wondering how on earth people find the time to read all the great stuff out there let alone write about it. This led me to the decision that I needed to use my time on the go and there it was, a perfect excuse to get an iPhone. I didn't need much persuading to be honest.

Already it's opened up so much more of the digital world to me. I had a so called smart phone before but it simply wasn't in the same league. To be fair however it was a 2G. Yes they do still exist.

Smart phones are now built more of data usage than telco efficacy. They are changing the way we communicate, disseminate and consume information, and make buying decisions. In fact, when you look at Mashable's comparison of the latest and greatest you'll see it has nothing to do with being a good phone anymore. (Good luck Nokia.)

Now all us marketeers have to do is learn to leverage this and make a little return on it. This return could be in the shape of reducing churn because a customer Tweeted a complaint and it was picked up on, or giving your advocates a platform upon which they can do the selling for you or getting free user research on a new launch. If anyone from the Google Wave team is reading this, I'd love to help with said research.

Although I am sure there are thousands of Digital Gods out there already selling ROI on social media in this way, perhaps it's time for us Mortal Digital bods to do the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making a comment. I'd like to be able to respond so if you leave some way of me contacting you that would be great.