Why this blog?

A friend and I were having a debate on whether or not there was such a thing as a digital planner. Did being a good offline account planner automatically mean you could be a good digital one? What does it take? Since I love my job and the power it gives me to be a consumer champion I've decided to embark on a journey to prove that a 'traditional planner' can embrace the digital world.

Realising that I am going to be pulling from several sources who know what they are talking about and that there must be other planners out there in my shoes, I thought it would be worth blogging what I find. At the very least it's a good place to pull together everything for me. Without this I have a strange feeling that I will be as redundant as the banker who said 'yes buying another bank's bad debt is a really good idea'; wish me luck.

Monday 21 December 2009

Lesson one: Online content is not just typed up offline content

I've been wondering for a few days now about my next post. Do I set out what I intend to do so my reader(s) understand where I am going with this blog, or do I just make it up as I go along? This then got me thinking about how people use the web. Unlike an ad or direct mail pack, a book or leaflet, people get to choose where they begin. And there you have it my first lesson: although some of the rules are the same you can't just type up an offline ad or piece and expect it to work.

I recognise for you officionados this sounds like the bleeding obvious but less obvious are the rules of engagement. Until I understand that, I'm going to find it hard to decide if a piece of work is good or bad. As a planner not having that skill makes me as complete as an alcohol free Christmas pudding -filling but ineffective. So this week I'm going to try and find some help with those there rules; wish me luck.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for making a comment. I'd like to be able to respond so if you leave some way of me contacting you that would be great.